02 March 2020

I'm Not Nice. Are You?



Nice is eroding the foundations of interpersonal discourse. It shows up in a variety of ways. Here's an example.
🌒

"No, no. You’re alright..."


I am sitting on a friend's porch drinking iced coffee and telling a story
from my unfocused youth.
Gesturing widely as I talk, I accidentally knock over my friend's glass.
“Oh! Damn!  I’m sorry,” I say.


“No, no. You’re alright,” my friend coos and runs to fetch a towel.


What?


Let’s break it down:  “No, no.” What’s she saying here?
Don’t apologize? I don’t want or need your apology? 
Is she saying an apology is inappropriate?
Unnecessary? 


“You’re alright.”  Well, yes, I do feel fine.
I’m not feeling damaged or at risk. Do I appear uncertain? 
Do I look like I need reassurance or comforting? 


I don’t want “apology” to be dislodged from the social protocol script.
I want to live in a world where people apologize when they spill a drink. I want
to live in a world where my friend accepts rather than negates my apology.
I want to live in a world where an apology doesn't suggest my self-esteem is lagging
or that I'm in need of rescue or succor.