29 July 2007

A Lo Menos

I noticed yesterday that of the several talented, generous, intelligent, hardworking, attractive women with whom I've interacted recently only one is financially solvent. Apparently it takes more than talent, generosity, intelligence, hard work and beauty to be free of money worry.

Also yesterday, a good friend who is about my age announced she is dedicating herself to becoming "financially competent." She's on an earnest mission now to get wise about and pay attention to her finances.

I asked her to share what she learns but this morning I realized that I don't have money and I actually don't want any. (I only want it because other people want me to have it so I can give it to them in rent and cell phone charges.) So, I'm getting just what I want.

I ate leftover West Indian food tonight while reading a newspaper article about The 50% League, a club whose members voluntarily give away at least half of what they make or inherit. They also said it gives them a great feeling.

I feel left out. I want to experience that great feeling. I've changed my mind. I DO want to become financially solvent and competent.

So I can join The 50% League.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Gods,I hear you. $ in themselves are so fundamentally meaningless.... and the goods they trade for crucial to our existence in Babylon.... and SHARING resources so fundamentally gratifying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been giving some lately. I gave $50 to HRC the other day, and I had given them $44 earlier in the year. As of mid July, I have paid all of my yearly pledge to 1stUUNO except $100, so I should have no problem exceeding my pledge this year. Last December, I gave all the commission money for the art piece, back to the church. Two of my pieces sold at GA and the GNOUU gets half of those sales. I have another commission piece due for the Katrina dinner, that the church will get half of also. I also understand there is another pending sale of a piece.
    I agree, it is gratifying to share monetary resources to support something you believe in. Yet I can't help but think that sharing of my time isn't also a form of giving. I gave a good friend of mine a couple days of work rebuilding her flooded home. I am also committing to be a co-facilitator of the Welcoming Congregation program if the congregation decides to persue it. I would love to make enough to be able to give away 50% and still be able to pay my bills and eat. But I give what I can, in ways I can, and I don't need to be a part of some club to get that great feeling.

    Marcie

    ReplyDelete

What did you think?