18 July 2007

Restful Ruin

Last night I dreamed I was driving a dark green hummer-type vehicle. There were two female passengers. We were a block from our destination; I had only to make one more left turn. I was making a lighthearted comment as I pulled into the turn. The vehicle leaned to the right, fell on its side and flipped.

My passengers escaped unscathed. I was trapped, face down, beneath the vehicle. The ground felt warm and welcoming under me. The weight of the vehicle on my back was a comfort. I closed my eyes and hummed, almost purred. I could hear my passengers, frantic and worried and scrambling to find help for me. I knew that eventually I would be rescued but I hoped it would not come too soon. I'd found a sweet, private resting place and was in no hurry to leave.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't offer me Hope. Don't ask me to give you Hope. Hope is a distraction. Hoping exhausts me. I want to do what I do not hoping that it will make anything better but believing that it is the right thing to do.


1 comment:

  1. ". . .When water gets trapped in habitual whirlpools, dig a way out through the bottom to the ocean. There lies a secret medicine given only to those who hurt so hard they can't hope. If the hopers knew, they feel slighted . . ."

    Perhaps my all time favorite lines from Rumi!

    If this was my dream, I'd feel cared for, deeply affirmed, and somewhat fearless having rest once again amongst the ruins.

    ReplyDelete

What did you think?